Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: 12 months with possible extension
Duty Station: Severodonetsk, Ukraine
End Date: 30.07.2017 (Midnight New York, USA)
The conflict in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts in eastern Ukraine has had a significant and detrimental impact on human welfare, and on social and economic conditions overall. The assessments indicate that both public and private infrastructure, including water and power supply systems, as well as educational and health facilities have been damaged or are otherwise in a state of disrepair in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts as a result of the ongoing conflict. Unemployment, especially among vulnerable population (IDPs, women, youth, disabled, etc.), is expected to continually increase due to the decline in economic output and thereby limited livelihoods and income generating opportunities in Donbas.
In response to this situation, in 2016, UNDP has established a Project Office in eastern Ukraine (Kramatorsk and Severodonetsk) with a view to consolidate and deliver the various recovery and governance projects through a comprehensive, area-based Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme (RPP) in five conflict-affected regions (oblasts): Donetsk and Luhansk (Government Controlled Areas), as well as Zaporizhzhya, Dnipropetrovsk, and Kharkiv oblasts. RPP frames UNDP’s interventions in Eastern Ukraine to address the recovery needs of conflict affected population and communities. The Programme has three Components focusing on: (1) economic recovery and restoration of critical infrastructure; (2) restoration of governance and support to decentralization reform; (3) strengthening community security and social cohesion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the development of innovative mechanisms/tools and planning of RPP actions for private sector development, employment and self-employment promotion:
- Contribute in procurement planning and financial delivery planning by preparing realistic and evidence-based budgetary estimates related with activities included in the annual, quarterly, and other work plans for Component 1 of RPP related with private sector development, employment and entrepreneurship promotion;
- Formulate concept, detailed terms of references and lead the research aimed at improving availability of transport infrastructure and improve logistics for business;
- Prepare proposals and TORs for analytical researches/assesments needed for designing new or improving existing mechanisms and/or innovative tools for support to economic recovery, stimulating development private sector, especially micro, small and medium size businesses and self-employment, strengthening employability and resilience of population affected by the conflict;
- Coordinate preparation of business development packages (business plan, marketing strategy, business management, etc.) based on identified business opportunities;
- Coordinate the process of the provision of financial support, including but not limited to grants for business development, and facilitate linking to financial institutions for further financial support;
- Support the relevant institutions with the provision of business promotion services to SMEs and employment promotion services to IDPs, returnees and local community members;
- Ensure full compliance of coordinated activities with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Prepare sections of reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Maintain and develop partnership relations with key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders and ensure effective networking, and others
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Business Administration, Management, Public Administration, Social Sciences or other relevant field;
- Minimum 3 years of extensive working experience in the area of employment and entrepreneurship promotion and/or local socio-economic development, including private sector development, experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, project/programme coordination or other relevant area;
- Experience in design and/or implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments is a huge advantage. Experience of working with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into early recovery and IDPs, as well as economic development issues at the national and sub-national levels would be a strong advantage;
- Experience of working in international organizations/projects will be considered as an advantage;
- Familiarity with UNDP rules and regulations will be considered as advantage;
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian is required.
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. Only applications submitted through UNDP website will be considered