In 2016, Regional Development Agencies (RDAs) were established in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts. Existing political will on the regional level is a window of opportunity to introduce better, more effective practices of governance including the management of regional development and recovery funds.
Against this context, UNDP has provided technical assistance to the Regional Development Agencies in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts to develop a comprehensive «Operational Principles and Policy Guidelines» for more transparency in their business processes, based in international best practices.
Main Objectives of the Assignment:
- The main objective of the assignment is to establish a fully functional department of investment and business promotion in the RDA, in accordance with the Operational Guidelines and business processes of the RDA; and to conduct the business processes of the RDA in the respective department for a short-term period sufficient to fully establish the department with functioning management processes, and identify any areas for improvement or further development for the respective department.
Description of Responsibilities / Scope of Work:
The Technical oversight (engineer)expert (hereinafter ‘the expert') is responsible for the provision of quality advice in the field of infrastructure and civil engineering by monitoring compliance with the technical requirementsof construction projects of the RDA, including aspects of engineering design, contracting, monitoring and supervision of works through the full project cycle of the works.The Expert will focus on the following areas/services, working in close cooperation with the rest of the RDA team:
- Support the RDA in the field of engineering for RDA implementation of infrastructure and civil works projects
- Develop Standard Technical oversight Procedures for the engineering aspects of project implementation for infrastructure and civil works projects implemented by the RDA
- Develop relationships of cooperation/exchange experience with entities with similar responsibilities in neighbouring oblasts and throughout Ukraine
- Inspection of documentation of construction activitiesthe Engineering Department of the RDA;
- Working with UNDP’s technical experts (especially RDA Civil Engineering Expert) to develop Standard Technical oversight Procedures for all relevant technical and engineering aspects of the project implementation cycle for infrastructure and civil works projects, including engineering design, specification and creation of Bills of Quantity for tendering of the projects, requirements for engineering supervision, monitoring and quality control, including checklists and criteria to be evaluated;
- Computing quantities of acceptable of workfor RDA projects;
- Working with the oblast, raion and hromada administrations, development perspective RDA infrastructure and civil works projects in the oblast;
- Working with the Director, RDA Civil Engineering Expert and Project Managers of RDA, formulate a strategy for infrastructure and civil works project implementation by the RDA, including objectives and targets for 2018 — 2020;
- Provide engineering technical oversight to the RDA for the implementation of infrastructure and civil works projects;
- Monitor operations and activities of the work unit, recommend improvements and modifications and prepare various reports on operations and activities, implement policies and procedures;
- Promote knowledge management within the team and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Perform routine to complex technical engineering inspections of public works and capital improvement projects;
- Inspect projects performed under contract for compliance with plans and specifications;
- Review and recommends progress payments; prepare change orders;
- Evaluate possible public improvements as needed, ensuring work performed adheres to the state standards, determining and noting major and minor defects, and evaluating appropriate actions in order to remedy defects as needed;
- Carry out other tasks related to the RDA’s infrastructure and civil works projects in the field of Technical oversight as requested by the Director of RDA.
The contract will be implemented in Luhansk oblast government-controlled territories.
Experience and Qualifications Requirements:
- Higher university Degree (minimum requirement — Master’s degree) in Civil engineering or related field;
- Certificate of Technical oversight engineering expert;
- At least 5 years of proven experience in the field ofinfrastructure and civil works constructionas Technical oversight engineering expert;
- At least 1 year of experience of working in or with international organizations as Technical oversight engineering expert;
- Experience in development of Action Plans, Standard Technical oversight Procedures and other TOR documents according to the requirements of international organisations;
- Fluent in Ukrainian and working knowledge of English language.
- Ability to build good relations with partners, focus on impact of the project and positive respond to feedback;
- Good managerial, administrative, planning, analytical and written skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Initiative and ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Excellent usage of computer and office software packages.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Proposed payment schedule:
- RDA will pay the negotiated amount in six equal tranches according to the schedule of deliverables, above. The payments will be paid upon the full completion and acceptance of contractual obligations whereupon the Executive Director of the RDA accepts the draft deliverables report and UNDP accepts the final deliverables report.
Documents to be Included when Submitting the Proposals:
Applicants shall submit the following documents:
- Personal CV, including information about past experience in similar projects / assignments and contact details for referees.
- Financial proposal
- Experience of the candidate submitting the proposal (P11 form)