The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs is a part of the UN Secretariat, responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort. This position is located in Severodonetsk, OCHA Ukraine. The Field Coordination Officer reports to the Humanitarian Affairs Officer.
Summary of Key Functions
- With support and methodological guidance from international staff member (Humanitarian Affairs Officer) incumbent implements and facilitates coordination activities on the ground, focusing on preparedness, support to emergency response and development of national humanitarian coordination networks;
- Provide substantial technical advisory and policy support to the HAO and DHoO, OCHA Ukraine;
- Oversee and coordinate efficient strategic partnerships and advocacy with all relevant stakeholders in the assigned region(s);
- Ensures collection, analysis and interpretation of data in the area of coordination and humanitarian affairs, ensuring proper reporting, information management and information dissemination;
- In close collaboration and liaison with Administrative Unit in Kyiv ensures overall operational/administrative management in the assigned field office;
- Oversees capacity building initiatives within delegated area of responsibility and assigned region(s).
- Ensuring proper planning, organization and execution of OCHA general coordination meetings;
- Coordinating among relevant stakeholders as well as among various structures of governmental institutions, NGOs and other actors in the subject area;
- Contributing to the implementation of a regional humanitarian coordination structure, strategy and policy;
- Establishing partnerships with operational stakeholders, especially humanitarian agencies on the ground in order to plan and evaluate assistance programmes activities, including gender-related considerations;
- Coordinating and monitoring the delivery of international humanitarian assistance, participating in need assessments and specifying unmet requirements;
- Maintaining close liaison with respective Civil-Military units on the ground and facilitating resolution of any access-related impediments for international humanitarian assistance;
- Organizing and actively participating in working groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on coordination, humanitarian response and emergency relief-related matters.
- Professionalism: Applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position; possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks; strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning; demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements;
- Client Orientation: Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues; analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders; is able to identify and communicate efficiently relevant advocacy information to all the stakeholders involved;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness: exercises ability to provide analytical inputs to strategic planning, results-based management and reporting; develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Political Science, Social Science, International Studies, Public Administration, Economics, Law, or a related field is required. Bachelor degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible professional experience in coordination, administrative management, capacity building, technical advisory and policy support, humanitarian affairs or related field is required;
- Sound knowledge in the humanitarian and overall social, legal, security and economic context in the assigned region would be a strong asset;
- Relevant experience in the UN Common System or an international organization is desirable;
- Profound field experience in the region is desirable;
- Proven analytical and reporting skills are advantage;
- Computer literacy (Excel, Internet, Word, web-based management systems);
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in remote locations with full efficiency, competence and integrity and with people of different backgrounds. Adherence to core United Nations competencies of professionalism, planning and organizing and teamwork.
- Fluent written and spoken English, Ukrainian and Russian.